History of the port in Darłowo
The port in Darłowo was set up at the turn of the 8th and 9th centuries. In the 10th century it already served as a trade and port centre, converted into a gord. In 1412, Darłowo officially became a member of the Hanseatic League, which enormously influenced development of the town and port. For the following centuries they had their ups and downs, suffered calamities of wars and fires. Afterwards, they were rebuilt and modernized.
At the end of the 1890s the current industrial basin was set up and has been the location of the commercial part of the port until this day. In 1970-1989, the port in Darłowo was mainly known for reloading of cereal grains and fishing. These activities were performed by the State-Owned Enterprise “Kuter”. At that time, the port already served as a port agency under the signboard of MAG. The change of the political system and the beginning of the 2000s brought a huge crisis in the port reloading activities and the collapse of “Kuter”.
In 2009, Morska Agencja Gdynia Sp. z o.o. bought a part of port lands which were transformed by the company into a reloading terminal. Since then the number of reloading operations has increased. In 2012 over 110 merchant ships called at the port in Darłowo. The scale of reloading of goods reached 200,000 tonnes. It was a record in the history of the port. Due to the increasing number of reloading operations, the port infrastructure and access roads are being systematically modernized and developed. Every year the fairway is deepened. Current and planned investments will contribute to the development of the port in Darłowo.